The Temple Main Street Office invites the public to the Temple Main Street Stakeholders Workshop, which will be held on Thursday, June 7th, at 9:00am, in the first floor conference room of the Historic Post Office, 101 North Main Street.
Main Street is a relationship-based program through which professional staff of the state Main Street office provide services and technical expertise as needed to help local programs and their stakeholders achieve revitalization goals through the Main Street Four Point Approach™. During a new Main Street Community’s first year of designation, the state staff conducts a whole-team site visit so that they can get to know the community well enough to help it achieve its goals. Various staff of the Texas Main Street Program of the Texas Historical Commission have already spent time in downtown Temple. The June 7 Workshop will help the team forge a course of action for the Temple Main Street program. The visit should help:
- increase awareness and understanding of the connections between preservation, economic development, and how to carry out the Main Street revitalization approach in the local community;
- lay a foundation for a strong, sustainable local Main Street revitalization program;
- the state team gain a better understanding of the local community, its challenges, assets and potential, and begin what will hopefully become a long-standing, productive relationship;
- begin development of a baseline Main Street plan of action (follow-up resource team report).
9 am to noon
9 – 9:15 am
- Welcome, Introductions, Agenda Review, introduction of the Main Street Four Point Approach™
Debra Drescher, State Coordinator, Texas Main Street Program
9:15 – 10:15 am (presentation + discussion)
- Design, Planning and Preservation in Main Street – the value of historic assets
Texas Main Street Program (TMSP)/Town Square Initiative (TSI) design staff: Sarah Gamble and Riley Triggs, architects; Marie Oehlerking-Read, project design assistant
- Preservation Awareness: preservation principles, tools and practices
- Working with/Services provided to property owners by the Texas Main Street design staff
- General design observations/initial recommendations for downtown Temple
10:15 – 10:30 am Break
10:30 – 11:30 am (presentation + discussion)
- Economic Development in Main Street – a preservation-based program to utilize historic assets for economic outcomes (1 hour, + discussion) Alan Cox, TMSP/TSI economic development specialist; and Emily Koller, TMSP/TSI planner
- DowntownTX.org: an economic development tool for Texas Main Street communities (Emily)
- Assessment/observations/recommendations: Downtown Temple’s role within the regional economy, and Main Street’s role in increasing the economic profile of downtown.
11:30 am – noon (presentation + discussion)
- Main Street Promotion
Nancy Glover, Temple CVB Director; Debra Drescher, TMSP
- Tourism Overview – Temple marketing report. How downtown and Temple is being promoted and marketed.
- Creating and managing downtown’s image through Main Street – Case studies (Debra)
Noon. Workshop Adjourns.
While the event is open to the public, the staff is encouraging RSVPs due to limited space. For more information or to RSVP, contact Nancy Glover, CVB Manager at 254-298-5379 or email@example.com.